Saturday, November 20, 2010

Facebook Spell

facebook me, look me up on facebook, request me, tag, like, comment me.. etc. some of the typical phrases for facebook users.
Picture courtesy of Google Images
Are you on Facebook?

If you are then you're probably familiar with the typical status update wars that go on there. Some people update so much that it really makes you want to 'defriend' (yes, that is a word) them or simply block future updates from them. 


"Wait a minute... why am I reading about facebook?" you might ask, well, because facebook has over 500 million 'active' subscribers who spend an average of 700 billion minutes per month on facebook, to put it into perspective, the US has approximately a population of 308 Million People, so Facebook has more than double the amount of subscribers as the entire population of the USA!


Although there are many people who I personally like to follow on facebook, there are a few who I wish somehow I could ignore altoghether (in fact I do). Sometimes I also wish there was a 'Dislike' button to show a little bit of my disapproval of certain updates, but instead I choose to ignore them, as there isn't much I can do, other than to witness to them by my own testimony. 

Some people make it a point to complain about their horrible life, their spouses, their parents, their boss, job, or how they wished it was Friday already. I'd say they should be grateful they have a job, spouse and their parents! 

Then you have the typical stalkers who don't really say much, but they are in everyone's business. That's why I've limited my information and restricted my privacy setting for only my friends. 

But you know, facebook isn't all that bad if you set boundaries and don't abuse it. I've come to use it more as a tool to reach out to certain people. Of course I want to keep in touch with friends who I have not seen for years, decades, but also to promote my convictions. 

What really shocks me is when my own "Christian" friends come to attack me on my page because I'm standing up for something I truly believe in. 
Take for instance my stand on abortion. I am Pro-Life, and until my friends started attacking me for being Pro-Life, I realized that it's a divided issue even in the church today. I couldn't believe how many Christians rationalize abortion because the 'Spirit of the Age' says in many instances it is ok, so they learn to tolerate it, and somehow believe it's ok because the baby is not yet born. 

That is, in my opinion, the single most devastating issue in our society, and the heaviest on God's heart.

The thing that makes Facebook worthwhile is when I get emails from people who after reading some of my reasonings on the issues that I speak against or in favor of, they being to change their perspective on them. 

That's when I am grateful to have this tool (facebook) at my disposal. 

Some people argue that 'social' life is just a phase. I would argue that social life will take over a great deal of our society. It's no longer something we can ignore, nor is it the fact that Christians here in the West are fading away very quickly. 

We've become such a "tolerant" society, we've been blinded to what really is happening in our world. We are no longer people of prayer, heck, even Christians (such as my facebook friends) are very tolerant to what the devil has to offer, such as homosexuality in the church, less political involvement, and allowing our rights to be stripped away, such as our freedom of speech!

The Bible says it very clearly in Matt 24:12 that "because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold" - It really describes to the T what is happening in our world today. 

I believe it all goes hand-in-hand with Biblical prophesy about the end of times, and although I know this will sound very cliché-ish, it truly is time for the remnant of God to take a stand for our Judeo-Christian values, and to defend them as our forefathers did. 

Do you have any stories about your facebook experience? 

2 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

Jonathan, thanks for "stopping by" my blog and more thanks for being kind enough to leave a comment.

Yes, we have a lot in common and the greatest is our Savior.

Hearts are growing so cold. We minister to the retired communities in the RV world, who are closest to eternity and the the hardest to reach. Their hearts are so hard, yet they come every Sunday and hear the Truth, but they're not listening. Breaks our hearts, but we can only love them and "tell" as God instructs... the battle is the Lord's and so is the Harvest.

Our heart also aches for Israel and how America is turning it's back against her. This will not bode well for America.

You sound like someone who we would love to sit down with over a cup of coffee and visit.

Your young and your stand thrills my soul. I pray God is calling you to do great things for Him. Will be praying for your safety, boldness, grace and love. Be ever so encouraged in your walk with the Lord.

In Him,
LaVon

Christopher - Conservative Perspective said...

Jonathan,

Thanks for dropping by my place and you are always welcome.

Onto your post,,, You say;

"We've become such a "tolerant" society, we've been blinded to what really is happening in our world. We are no longer people of prayer, heck, even Christians (such as my facebook friends) are very tolerant to what the devil has to offer, such as homosexuality in the church, less political involvement, and allowing our rights to be stripped away, such as our freedom of speech!"

Now I would say all of that is due part and parcel directly to the American Christian community and especially the Roman Catholic Churh.

The enemy is within.

Personally I just deleted my page on facebook as I find it completely useless. I care not that Suzies little Timmy decides he no longer likes crust on his P&J sandwhiches, or that Robert caught his boy doing what Christine O'Donnell railed againgst and guess what,,I do not care if it is sunny in Florida.

Good luck in your endeavor in that forum but you will have a real tough time sorting through the mundane and completely moronic posts you are competeing with.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online